Our commitment to Equality
Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 requires public authorities, in carrying out their functions, powers and duties, to have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity:
between persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation between men and women generally between persons with a disability and persons without between persons with dependants and persons without.
In addition, without prejudice to its obligations above, the Act requires that regard is given to the desirability of promoting good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Council is committed to fulfilling these responsibilities. Promoting equality and good relations are key to improving the quality of life for everyone in Ards and North Down, making our area a better place to live, work, visit and invest.
The Council has produced an Equality Scheme which explains how we intend to fulfil these duties. This was approved by the Equality Commission on 25 March 2015. This scheme was approved prior to Council being awarded borough status. The document can be downloaded below. Alternatively a copy can be requested in an alternative format, including braille and minority languages, by contacting the Council on 0300 013 3333.
Equality Annual Reports from 2015 to 2018 also available on request.
For more information contact Equality and Safeguarding Officer on 0300 013 3333 (07718 159 275 sms text only) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require information from this website in a different language please contact email@example.com
- Equality Scheme (full) 2020-2025 (pdf 555 KB)
- Equality Scheme (summary) 2020-2025 (pdf 209 KB)
- Table of Policies April 2021 consultation (pdf 127 KB)
- Table of Policies January 2021 Consultation (pdf 139 KB)
- Table of Policies October 2020 consultation (pdf 118 KB)
- Table of Policies July 2020 consultation (pdf 162 KB)
- Table of policies April 2020 consultation (pdf 45 KB)
- Revised Final Equality Action Plan 2020 - 2025 (pdf 252 KB)
- Index for quarterly Consultations - Equality (2014 onwards) (pdf 158 KB)
- Equality Annual Report 2019-20 (pdf 671 KB)
- Equality Annual Report 2018-19 (pdf 568 KB)