Our commitment to Equality
Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 requires public authorities, in carrying out their functions, powers and duties, to have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity:
between persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation between men and women generally between persons with a disability and persons without between persons with dependants and persons without.
In addition, without prejudice to its obligations above, the Act requires that regard is given to the desirability of promoting good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Council is committed to fulfilling these responsibilities. Promoting equality and good relations are key to improving the quality of life for everyone in Ards and North Down, making our area a better place to live, work, visit and invest.
The Council has produced an Equality Scheme which explains how we intend to fulfil these duties. This was approved by the Equality Commission on 25 March 2015. This scheme was approved prior to Council being awarded borough status. The document can be downloaded below. Alternatively a copy can be requested in an alternative format, including braille and minority languages, by contacting the Council on 0300 013 3333.
For more information contact Shirley Poxon on 0300 013 3333 (07718 159 275 sms text only) or email: email@example.com.
If you require information from this website in a different language please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Equality annual report 2017-2018 (pdf 614 KB)
- Equality annual report 2016 -2017 (docx 145 KB)
- Equality annual report 2015 -2016 (pdf 1 MB)
- Equality scheme (summary) (docx 61 KB)
- Equality scheme (full) (pdf 646 KB)
- Table of Policies July 2019 consultation (pdf 112 KB)
- Table of Policies April 2019 consultation (pdf 99 KB)
- Disability Action Plan 2017-2020 (pdf 189 KB)
- Equality Action Plan (pdf 285 KB)