When you'll need planning permission
The type of work you intend to carry out will determine if you need planning permission or building regulation approval.
- Examples of when to apply for planning permission
- Examples of when to apply for building regulations approval
How to apply for planning permission
Application forms are available in two ways:
- you can print the form and complete it by hand or type your application and then print
Download an application form
- you can call into our public office on Church Street in Newtownards and collect an application form
Free Planning Advice for Local Communities (Community Places)
- Community Places offers free, independent and confidential advice to people and communities who cannot afford to pay a private consultant
- they cannot provide help if you have already employed a planning agent or another party to act in that capacity
- they are also unable to provide assistance to businesses, political parties, or people who wish to object to social/affordable housing
- you can download their leaflet by clicking on the PDF document at the foot of the page
- the Community Places website can be accessed via this link http://www.communityplaces.info
Contacting a Registered Architect
If you are considering employing an architect, ensure they are registered with the Architects’ Registration Board – the statutory body which maintains the Register listing every architect in the UK.
Here is the link to the Architects' Register.
Returning your application for planning permission
For your application to be processed it must be accompanied by the appropriate fee and relevant supporting documentation
You can pay your fee:
- by cheque made payable to Ards and North Down Borough Council
- by debit or credit card, in person, at our planning offices
- additional fees/payments due may be made using a credit/debit card over the phone
Completed application forms and fees can be submitted
- by post (please enclose a cheque made payable to Ards and North Down Borough Council)
- in person at our public office
You can't pay a planning application fee or apply for planning permission online.
Development following planning approval – CDM Regulations
Once planning permission has been granted, the development should be carried out in compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (NI) 2016 issued by the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland.”