There are a number of a number of new Sport NI Every Body Active 2020 Programmes starting in January 2019. Programmes include Power Stretch, Yogalates, Pilates and the ever-popular Couch 2 5K.
For full details of available courses, please click here.
Every Body Active 2020
Every Body Active 2020 is a four year lottery funded programme aimed at getting people more active more often through sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland.
Sport Northern Ireland has invested £6.2 million in the 11 District Councils across Northern Ireland to help increase quality opportunities for targeted groups to increase participation in sport and physical activities across key life-course transitions (for example children moving from primary school to post-primary, young people leaving education, having a family, or retiring from work)
In particular we will be targeting increases in participation among traditionally under-represented groups which include:
- Women and girls (specifically aged 14-25yrs)
- People with a disability; and
- Those living in areas of greatest social need (specifically people living within the top 25% of wards designated by NI Multiple Deprivation Measure Index 2010)
Each of the 11 councils will be working closely with clubs, schools, and community organisations to provide opportunities to get involved in a wide range of sports and activities in your local area at a time and place to suit you.
Working in partnership with Northern Community Leisure Trust, Ards and North Down Borough Council have planned to deliver a number of NEW activity programmes specifically targeting the key areas highlighted above. These include:
- Walking Programme (targeting people to get more active)
- Nordic Walking (targeting people aged 40+, this is a total body exercise)
- Couch 2 5K (targeting inactive people focusing on females and elderly people)
- COPD Classes (targeting people suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Strength and Balance (targeting those sign posted from the SEHSCT Falls Prevention Programme)
- Self Defence (targeting mums and daughters)
The above list is just an example of some of the programmes we have planned as part of the Every Body Active 2020 initiative. If you would like further information on Every Body Active 2020, please see the download section below or contact a member of the Ards and North Down Sports Development team or the local Every Body Active Co-Ordinator on 0300 013 3333 – Ext 40253.
Sport Northern Ireland’s Every Body Active 2020 Small Grants programme
Sport Northern Ireland’s Every Body Active 2020 Small Grants programme is a small grants programme primarily aimed at grassroots community based sport. It is a partnership between Ards and North Down Borough Council and Sport Northern Ireland. The programme aims to prioritise investment in sports clubs, community groups and governing bodies of sport, especially those based in areas of greatest need that will deliver increased sports participation. Applications for the Small Grants Programme now closed.
Sports Development Capital Grant Scheme
Ards and North Down Borough Council recognises the need for Capital Investment into our Sports Clubs and Facilities, in order to improve the quality of provision and sporting experiences for people living within the Borough.
The Sports Development Capital Scheme is available for capital expenditure, i.e. facilities and/or equipment. ‘Capital Expenditure’ is defined as expenditure for technical assistance and/or purchase, improvement, restoration and construction of an asset directly related to the applicant organisation. The Council has set aside £50,000 for 2018/2019 financial year and can award up to 50% of eligible capital costs with a maximum award of £5,000 in respect of any one project.
The grant has two tranches in the year, each worth £25,000. The grant scheme is currently closed to new applications. Find out more
Ards and North Down Sports Forum is a voluntary organisation comprising affiliated sports clubs and organisations. The forum exists to encourage active participation in sport and leisure activities by supporting the development and sustainability of sports clubs in Ards and North Down. Visit here for more information.
Contact Information For more information about Sports Development call 0300 013 3333 – Ext 40253 or email:
- Every Body Active 2020 Programme (pdf 74 KB)
- Everybody Active 2020 Registration Form (pdf 164 KB)
- Beginner Boxercise - Leaflet (pdf 188 KB)
- Beginner Indoor Cycling flyer (pdf 200 KB)
- Beginner Power Stretch flyer (pdf 186 KB)
- Beginner Pilates flyer (pdf 1 MB)
- Nordic Walking (pdf 163 KB)
- Physical activity readiness questionnaire - Nordic Walking (pdf 74 KB)
- Womens Self Defence (pdf 85 KB)
- Physical activity readiness questionnaire - Self Defence (pdf 74 KB)
- Couch 2 5K July 2018 (pdf 687 KB)