Affordable Warmth Scheme

Ards and North Down Borough Council in partnership with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) and the Department for Communities (DfC) provide the Affordable Warmth Scheme.

Who is eligible for assistance?

If you rent your home from a private landlord or own your home and have a total gross annual household income below £20,000, you may be entitled to help under the scheme.

Applying to the scheme

This is a targeted scheme. DfC gave councils information about the main fuel poverty concentrations within each council area. If your home is in an area where DfC identified fuel poverty is prevalent, council staff will contact you to collect information for the scheme. If they call at your home, they'll wear a council ID badge. They can explain more about the scheme and give you the opportunity to complete a survey. The council will refer completed surveys to the Housing Executive.

You can contact Ards and North Down Borough Council Affordable Warmth Scheme to see if you are eligible.
Telephone: 0300 013 3333

How the scheme can help

The scheme can offer different energy efficiency measures. These measures are prioritised.

Priority Energy efficiency measures
Priority 1
loft insulation
roof/loft/eaves ventilation
hot water cylinder jacket
draught proofing doors/windows
cavity wall insulation
Priority 2
provide natural gas or oil central heating where no heating exists
convert solid fuel/LPG/Economy 7 to natural gas or oil
convert Economy 7 to high efficiency electrical storage system
replace boiler/upgrade system for householders with a child under 16, or who receive Disability Living Allowance, or are aged over 65, and have an existing boiler that's at least 15 years old
Priority 3
replace single glazed windows
repair or replace defective double glazed windows
Priority 4
solid wall
provide solid wall (internal/external insulation)

Assessing energy efficiency measures

The Housing Executive will contact you and arrange to inspect your home so they can assess what energy efficiency measures you need. If you are entitled to help, the Housing Executive will give you a Schedule of Works. This document will confirm the energy efficiency measures the Housing Executive allows you to install, along with a formal certificate of approval to start works.

Doing approved work at your home

You can appoint your own contractor to do the work. If you do not know anybody who can do the work, the Housing Executive will be able to help you find someone.

Tenants in private sector homes

If you rent your home from a private landlord, your landlord must:

  • be registered with the Landlord Registration Scheme
  • agree to the energy efficiency improvements being installed in their property
  • pay 50 per cent of the total energy efficiency improvement costs to their property