Useful advice for our residents in the event of a flood

Report Flooding

The public should report any incidents of flooding to the Flood Incident Line T. 0300 2000 100. This number is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You don’t have to contact the Rivers Agency, Roads Service or NI Water. When you ring, a member of staff will take all your details and contact the appropriate agency on your behalf. You can also call this number if you need sandbags to protect your property.

This is a non emergency number but if anyone is in real danger then the emergency services should be contacted on 999.

Electricity Problems

If you are having problems with your electricity, please contact the NIE Customer Helpline on 0845 7643 643 

Blocked Sewers

If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by a public sewer, please call Northern Ireland Water on 03457 440088, helpline available 24 hours a day. Further information on preventing blockages can be found on the Northern Ireland Water website: Blockages - Northern Ireland Water (

Preparing for flooding

You may already know that you live or have a business in an area which has flooded before or is at risk of flooding. These are suggestions on being prepared for flooding: 

  • Keep a few sandbags to block doorways. 
  • Be prepared to seal airbricks with plastic covers, cloths or towels. 
  • Make a Household flood plan | nidirect 
  • Listen to local weather, news and travel bulletins on radio and TV. You can also check for warnings of severe weather on the Met Office website or register to receive alerts via email at UK weather warnings - Met Office  - you can also follow on Twitter or download the app.
  • Make sure you have adequate insurance and that you are covered for flood damage. If you own your own home you should have both buildings and contents insurance. If you live in public or private rented accommodation you should have contents insurance. Your landlord should have buildings insurance on the property. 
  • Talk to your neighbours and consider having a community emergency plan for your area. Consider that there may be vulnerable people near you who could use your help in a flooding emergency. 
  • Consider the various ways flood water could enter your home and consider making changes to prevent this. 
  • Report a road drainage fault | nidirect - via the NI Direct website if there is an issue with blocked gullies, roadside drainage or ponding.

Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme

If you own your home and experienced indoor flooding from a river, sea, surface water or sewerage, you could be eligible for a grant to protect your home against flooding. It is a government scheme to help homeowners who:

  • experienced flooding in their home at least once in last twenty five years
  • live in an area where there is a recognised risk of flooding

The grant could cover some or most of the cost of installing barrier equipment to protect a home from flooding in the future. The Homeowner Flood Protection Grant scheme grant scheme is not open to tenants. 

Find out more at Homeowner flood protection grant scheme application pack | Department for Infrastructure (