Portaferry Public Realm Scheme
Portaferry is a coastal village at the southern end of the Ards peninsula, with scenic views of Strangford Lough, its own marina and rich local heritage.
Portaferry will soon undergo a significant £2M environmental improvement scheme that will provide a safe, accessible, and attractive shared space for people to live, work, visit and invest.
The scheme is funded under the Covid Recovery Small Settlements Regeneration Programme (SSRP) with a contribution from Ards and North Down Borough Council. The SSRP is a collaborative approach, with contributions from the Department for Communities, Department for Infrastructure, and Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs.
The Council recently appointed local construction company, Northstone Ltd, to deliver the programme of works.
Construction works will commence onsite October 2023, with an expected completion Summer 2024.
The Portaferry Public Realm Scheme includes the following areas:
Market Square | Castle Street | Ferry Street | High Street | Meeting House Street
The public realm scheme will welcome improved street lighting, widening and resurfacing of footpaths with sustainable materials, better pedestrian connectivity, incorporation of street furniture and planting.
The Market Square carpark will be redesigned to create a usable civic space.
The scheme aims to:
- support a sustainable village centre by creating a physical environment that supports economic activity and helps alleviate deprivation.
- enhance the potential to attract tourism and associated spend and preserve the village’s identity and retail offering, through improving the physical appearance of Portaferry
- use appropriate materials in keeping with Portaferry status as an historic village and visitor destination
- promote civic pride throughout the village
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions list below.
Please note, a Contractor Introduction and Scheme Information Sessions were held for residents on Monday 4 September 2023.
If you would like to be kept informed of progress and receive the Portaferry Public Realm Scheme Newsletter, please email ‘SUBSCRIBE’ to email@example.com
Northstone’s Public Liaison Officer will be contactable on 07385 029472 for any day-to-day queries about the works or particular requirements for access.
For out of hours contact, there is a 24hr contractor’s contact number for Northstone: 02890394419
Alternatively, there is a dedicated contractor’s email address firstname.lastname@example.org where Northstone will endeavour to answer any queries or address any issues.
For general queries on the scheme you can contact Council Officers on 03000133333 (Ask for the Regen Team) or email email@example.com
- Portaferry Public Realm - Newsletter 1 (pdf 1 MB)
- Portaferry Public Realm Newsletter Edition 2 (pdf 1 MB)
- Portaferry Public Realm Newsletter Edition 3 (pdf 2 MB)
- Portaferry Public Realm Newsletter Edition 4 (pdf 1 MB)
- Portaferry Public Realm leaflet (pdf 330 KB)
- Portaferry Public Realm by AECOM (pdf 2 MB)