Shared Spaces and Services
This theme will focus on the creation of a more cohesive society through an increased provision of shared spaces and services across the Ards and North Down Borough. The programme aims to ensure that each area becomes a shared space which all members of the community can use. The shared spaces will connect people with a focus on improving the health and well-being of their communities.
The programme will focus on 4 towns and villages in the Ards and North Down Borough: Comber, Holywood, Portaferry and Portavogie.
The plans include the development of informal recreation and leisure facilities.
The spaces will be transformed through dialogue, connecting workshops around horticulture, biodiversity, leisure and sports with communities across the areas, leading to the creation of welcoming consensual spaces and a more cohesive and connected society.
Programmes of participative activities will accompany the project to ensure connections between people through common interests and the environment.
Works will begin in Comber and Portaferry in January 2020 whilst works in Portavogie and Holywood will commence in early spring.
Scope of works at each of the sites:
- Portaferry Nugent’s Wood: will include improvements to the existing walking trail path, drainage works, seating, sculptures and entrance signage to be installed.
- Portaferry Ropewalk: will include installation of an official walking trail gravel path, seating, sculptures and entrance signage to be installed.
- Holywood Loughview: will include new entrance signage and gate, new paving and improvements to existing paths, drainage works in the family kickabout area and some tree planting and wildflower meadow seeding
- Comber Muckers Field: will include a new skate park with fencing and lighting, a concrete base foundation to enable a teen shelter to be installed at a later date, drainage works to the existing family kick about area and an upgrade and widening of the existing path surrounding the entire field which will connect the Comber to Newtownards Greenway.
- Portavogie (Princess Anne Road): will include a small community garden, a new skate park with fencing and lighting and a concrete base foundation to enable a teen shelter to be installed at a later date.
- Portavogie Anchor Car Park: will include outdoor gym equipment.