The council works to support the local community and promote wellbeing. We want to make the Borough the best place to live, work, invest and visit.
Support and development to local groups
We provide different support and development services to assist local community and voluntary groups:
- setting up a new group – support with constitutions, insurance, bank accounts
- projects – assistance with funding applications for external funding and signposting to relevant information
- training for committee members on community development topics –in partnership with the community networks in the borough
- partnerships – developing relationships with other organisations, agencies and statutory bodies
- grant aid – including community development grants and community festivals grants from the council and externally from other organisations
- communications – keeping groups informed about relevant information
For further information on any of the above support services, or if you have another query, please contact the Community Development Team via our Contact form.
The council also supports and works alongside the following local community networks:
- North Down Community Network
- Ards Community Development Bureau
- County Down Rural Community Network
Together we have agreed a Community Development Service Delivery Plan for community support. You can download the plan below or find out more on the link here - Community Development Delivery Plan.
Community information register
The council keeps a register of groups interested in receiving notice about grants, information events, opportunities and other community-related activities. The council can only send community-related information to groups on the register. We use email to pass on community-related information to registered groups.
Stay up to date with what's going on across Ards and North Down by registering your details with us if your community organisation, group or partnership would like to receive this information. Fill in the registration form (downloadable from the list below) and return it to:
Ards and North Down Borough Council
Community and Wellbeing
16 South Street
Registering your group
If your community organisation, group or partnership wants to receive community-related information, you need to register by filling in the registration form and returning to the council.
Advice on How to Hold Your AGM
Supporting Communities have prepared a short video giving advice on how to run an Annual General Meeting. More information can be found at http://supportingcommunities.org/
Community Development Toolkit
In February 2020, we launched the Community Development Toolkit, produced in partnership with the County Down Rural Community Network, North Down Community Network and Ards Development Bureau and Community Network. It is our hope that local communities in Ards and North Down will find the Toolkit helpful and informative.
Download the Toolkit PDF from the list below.
- Ards and North Down Community Development Game Plan (pdf 6 MB)
- Community Development Toolkit 2020 (pdf 1 MB)
- Ards and North Down Borough Council community information register - registration form (updated 2022) (docx 46 KB)
- Ards and North Down Borough Council community information register - registration form (updated 2022) PDF Version (pdf 75 KB)
- Community Development Delivery Plan (pdf 191 KB)