New Leisure Centre Facility Newtownards
Ards and North Down Borough Council is continuing its commitment to provide high quality leisure facilities throughout the Borough for residents and visitors alike. We are pleased to announce another exciting project which will see a new leisure facility built in Newtownards.
Work will begin on the site of the Dairy Hall playing fields in Newtownards in early February 2017. The existing leisure centre at William Street will remain in use until the new facility is ready, as we work towards a completion date before the end of 2018, weather and ground conditions permitting.
The new leisure centre, which represents an investment of more than £30M showcases the Council’s commitment to improved health and wellbeing within the Borough. The facility will offer a wide range of sports, recreation and family leisure facilities including the following:
- 6 lane gala pool
- 20m teaching pool (both pools have moveable floors)
- water splash play and paddling pool
- high quality spa area with vitality pool/chill pool sauna/steam rooms and treatment rooms
- 6 court sports hall
- independent outdoor covered sports pitch
- multi-purpose meeting and activity room
- dance, cycle/ spin studios
- fitness suite
- café area
- party rooms
- indoor flexible space for adventure leisure activities
- indoor soft play
- outdoor adventure play area
- outdoor skate park provision
- outdoor mountain bike area.
Ards and North Down Borough Council Chief Executive, Stephen Reid, said: “This is an exciting and much anticipated development for the Borough. The new leisure centre represents a very significant investment in high quality sport and leisure facilities for people of all ages and will contribute much to our overall objective of promoting the health and wellbeing of residents. The features that will be included have been shaped by consultation with user groups and will complement the facilities available at Bangor Aurora Aquatic and Leisure Complex, Londonderry Park and across the wider borough.”