Building Control Inspections during the Covid – 19 pandemic (Update 21.12. 2021) 

Due to the current government guidance the Council’s Building Control service has had to adapt. 

External, ‘open air’ inspections will take place, but inspections of occupied buildings will only be undertaken whenever they can be carried out safely, in accordance with government advice and council policy. As required by legislation all inspections must still need to be notified to the Building Control service by calling 028 9127 8015 or via before an inspection is due. 

Where physical inspections cannot take place, you can email photographs for the officer to assess and comment at that point. (Do not keep them all to the end of the job). 

When you send photographs please provide, the application reference number of the address of the works along with your name and contact telephone number. 

Building Control application can still be made by post or using the online application process available on this website. This situation will be kept under review and may change. 


Building regulations require the builder to give the council prior notice of various stages of work as noted below. To give notice, please telephone: 0289 127 8015 or  email: 

Stage of work Minimum notice
Commencement two days
Foundation (excavation) two days
Foundation (concrete) two days
Materials or concrete or dpc laid over site two days
Before covering drains or sewers two days
After covering drains or sewers five days
Before covering any above-ground structural elements two days
Before covering any sound insulation measures two days
After completion five days
Before occupation five days

The Building Regulations lay down the minimum notice periods. In the calculation of a period of notice "day" means any period of 24 hours commencing at midnight on the day which the notice is given and excludes any Saturday, Sunday or public holiday. 


The Council will generally respond to an inspection request on the same day, provided the request is made before 10.30am by telephone, or the previous working day for email requests. 

In addition to responding to statutory notices, the Council will normally inspect other aspects of the construction such as walls, floors, roofs, or stairs. These inspections are normally arranged by agreement with the builder. 

Building Control officers will provide advice on any building regulation matter. By giving timely notices, and keeping in regular contact, you will avoid the difficulties associated with contraventions. 

Booking an inspection 

If you require any assistance / to book an inspection, please contact us:  

Telephone: 028 9127 8015