Energy Performance Certificates

Anyone who is selling, renting out or constructing a building needs an energy performance certificate for that property. 
An energy performance certificate tells you how energy efficient your property is, and includes recommendations for improving its energy rating. It is based on: 

  • type of construction 
  • thermal insulation 
  • heating system 
  • lighting 

It is required even if there is no heating system or services at the moment, such as in commercial retail shell units or incomplete dwellings. 
Certificates are valid for ten years but you should get a new certificate if you do any major refurbishment or building work which could change the energy efficiency rating of your property. 
We enforce the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations (NI) and can investigate if an energy performance certificate is not shown to a prospective tenant or buyer. Offenders can be fined up to £200.00 (dwellings) and £500.00 - £5,000.00 (any other property). We can issue fines more than once. 

When you'll need an energy performance certificate (EPC) 

If you're selling, renting out or constructing a building, you will need an energy performance certificate for that property. Estate or letting agents must also display the energy indicator on any materials they use to market a property for sale or rent. 

You won't need an EPC if: 

  • you are not selling or renting your property 
  • you're renting your property and both parties signed a contract before 30 December 2008 
  • you're selling your property and the buyer intends to demolish it 

The following buildings are exempt and don't require an EPC: 

  • places of worship 
  • stand-alone buildings of less than 50 square metres (except for dwellings) 
  • temporary buildings 

Responsible for getting an EPC 

When a building needs an EPC, the person responsible is: 

  • the owner if the building is being sold 
  • the landlord if the building is rented 
  • the builder if the building is under construction 

The estate or letting agent is responsible for displaying EPC information on all marketing materials. 

Assessing energy performance  

You can only get an EPC from an accredited energy assessor. The energy assessor will visit your property to complete the energy assessment. You should ask for photographic identification before letting anyone into your property. The energy assessor will record the EPC on the Northern Ireland Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Register which is available as a link below.  
Finding an energy assessor 
You can find an accredited energy assessor in your area using the Northern Ireland register.  
How much does it cost? 
A certificate for the average Northern Ireland home is around £50.00 - £100.00, but the price will be set by market demand so it can vary. For other properties, the cost depends on the size and complexity of the building. 
If you need more information about energy performance certificates, contact the Energy Performance Team on 028 9027 0650 or freephone 0800 022 3004. 
For more information, go to the Northern Ireland Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Register website.