Registering a stillbirth

Registration Office Opening Hours over the Christmas/New Year period:

Monday 23rd December – Ards Closed.  Bangor – Normal Opening Hours
Tuesday 24th December – Offices Closed
Wednesday 25th December – Offices Closed
Thursday 26th December – Ards Closed.  Bangor – Open 9 am until 11 am for the registration of deaths only
Friday 27th December – Ards Closed.  Bangor – Normal Opening Hours.
Monday 30th December - Ards Closed. Bangor - Normal Opening Hours
Tuesday 31st December - Ards Closed. Bangor - Normal Opening Hours
Wednesday 1st January 2020 - Officers Closed. Reopening Tuesday 2nd January 2020.

Registering the stillbirth of a child is no doubt the farthest thing from a grieving parent’s mind. There are family members who can help and while you must register a stillbirth by law, you do have one year from the date of the stillbirth to complete the registration.

Who can register a stillbirth?

The mother or father of the stillborn child (if they are a married couple) can register the stillbirth. If the parents are not married to each other, the name of the father may only be recorded if the father attends and signs the registration or if a declaration of paternity is produced.

The following people may also register the stillbirth:

  • the grandmother, grandfather, uncle or aunt of the stillborn child
  • any person present at the stillbirth
  • any person having charge of the stillborn child
  • the occupier of the premises where the stillbirth took place

How to register

To register a stillbirth you will need to provide a certificate signed by a registered medical practitioner (or registered midwife) that was present at the stillbirth or has examined the body of the stillborn child.

You will also need to provide the following information:

  • full name and sex of the stillborn child
  • date of the stillbirth
  • district and place of stillbirth
  • full names and dates of birth of the parents
  • full addresses and occupations of the parents

You must register a stillbirth in person, but you can do it at any District Registrar's office in Northern Ireland.

Once the registration is completed, the Registrar will issue a stillbirth certificate free of charge.

Order a stillbirth certificate

If you need to order a certified copy of a stillbirth certificate, the procedure differs slightly from other types of certificate. Only certain family members related to the stillborn baby can order the certificate. They are:

  • mother or father (if named on the certificate)


General Register Office
Colby House
Stranmillis Court
Telephone: 0300 200 7890
General Register Office website