Due to the ongoing pandemic, ceremonies continue to be subject to change as per guidance from the Northern Ireland Executive. This is beyond our control.
If you wish to discuss booking a ceremony, please contact our office to check available dates and to make a provisional booking. We would ask you to bear in mind that, in line with current health and safety advice, Bangor Castle is restricted to a maximum of 50, which includes the wedding party, guests, photographer etc.
If you need cancel or postpone your wedding or civil partnership please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, mobile number and date and place of ceremony and we will respond to you in due course.
All marriage and civil partnership applications require a face to face appointment. Please ring for an appointment at least two weeks in advance of the date you require. This process can be done up to one year prior to the date of your ceremony.
Please note, at this time, all appointments are being held in the Bangor Office only.
Civil partnership is a legal relationship, which can be formed by two people of the same or opposite sex. Couples who form a civil partnership will have legal status, that of a civil partner. Information on Marriage and Civil Partnership fees from 1 April 2018 can be downloaded here.
The civil partnership registration may take place in a registrar’s office or at an approved place.
Any two people, regardless of where they live , can register a civil partnership in Northern Ireland, provided they are:
- aged 18 or above on the day of your ceremony (consent is needed if either of you is aged 16 or 17)
- unrelated to one another in a way that would prevent you from forming a civil partnership
- free to enter into a partnership, for example, neither of you is already a civil partner or legally married
You must also complete a civil partnership notice form and return it along with other documents to the registrar's office in the district where you plan to form your partnership. A form is available from the council offices at:
- Town Hall, The Castle, Bangor, BT20 4BT
- 2 Church Street, Newtownards, BT23 4AP
The Civil Partnership Notice Form is also available online here: Civil partnership notice form | nidirect
You will need to fill in the form and provide these documents:
- your full (long version) birth certificate (authorised photocopies are not acceptable)
- your passport or national identity card - the registrar can advise on alternatives if you do not hold either of these
- a consent form (if you're aged 16 or 17) - these are available from the registrar
- if you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
- if you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final)
- if you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required
- if you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner
You can buy civil partnership certificates at the point of registration. Each certificate costs £8.00. You can pay by credit/debit card, cheque or cash.
Additional civil partnership certificates
You cannot buy additional civil partnership certificates from the registrar's office at any time after registration. You can only buy these from the General Register Office in Belfast. An additional certificate costs £15.00.
General Register Office
Telephone: 0300 200 7890
General Register Office website
For information on how to convert your Civil Partnership to a Civil Marriage please visit our website page Conversion of Civil Partnership to a Marriage or Marriage to Civil Partnership | Ards and North Down Borough Council