Registration Office Opening Hours over the Christmas/New Year period:
Monday 23rd December – Ards Closed. Bangor – Normal Opening Hours
Tuesday 24th December – Offices Closed
Wednesday 25th December – Offices Closed
Thursday 26th December – Ards Closed. Bangor – Open 9 am until 11 am for the registration of deaths only
Friday 27th December – Ards Closed. Bangor – Normal Opening Hours.
Monday 30th December - Ards Closed. Bangor - Normal Opening Hours
Tuesday 31st December - Ards Closed. Bangor - Normal Opening Hours
Wednesday 1st January 2020 - Officers Closed. Reopening Tuesday 2nd January 2020.
Please note that from 1st September 2017 the Registrar’s Office located at Bangor Castle and Church Street, Newtownards will be operating an appointment only system.
To make an appointment at Bangor Castle please ring 0300 013 3333 ext. 40784
To make an appointment at Church Street, Newtownards please ring 0300 013 3333
By law all births in Northern Ireland must be registered. You must register your baby's birth within 42 days of the date of birth. You can register a birth in any registrar's office in Northern Ireland.
Registrar's offices in Ards and North Down are in the council offices at:
- Town Hall, The Castle, Bangor, BT20 4BT, telephone 028 9127 8003
- 2 Church Street, Newtownards, BT23 4AP, telephone 028 9182 4003
- Please note that from 1st September 2017 the Registrar’s Office located at Bangor Castle and Church Street, Newtownards will be operating an appointment only system.
- To make an appointment at Bangor Castle please ring 0300 013 3333 ext. 40784
- To make an appointment at Church Street, Newtownards please ring 0300 013 3333 ext. 40720
Registering a birth
To register a birth, you need to fill in a birth registration form.
You also need certain information to fill in the form:
- full name, surname and sex of the baby
- date and place of birth
- full names, addresses, dates of birth and occupations of the baby's mother and father
When registering a birth, it is important to give accurate information as a registration cannot be easily changed later.
Family members or other people who can register the birth
The following people can register a child's birth:
- the mother or father of the baby – if you are a married couple
- when a child is born outside marriage, the name of the father can only be recorded in the entry of birth if both parents attend and sign the registration together. If the baby’s mother or father cannot attend together, contact the registrar for advice
- maternal grandmother, grandfather, aunt or uncle of the baby who has knowledge of the birth
- occupier of the premises where the baby was born
- any person present at the birth
- any person in charge of the child
Once the birth is registered, you will receive one free, short birth certificate and a HS123 infant registration form. You'll need this form to register your child with a family doctor and obtain your child's medical card. You can buy full birth certificates at the point of registration. Each certificate costs £8.00. You can pay by credit/debit card, cheque or cash.
You cannot buy additional birth certificates from the registrar's office at any time after registration. You can only buy these from the General Register Office in Belfast. An additional certificate costs £15.00.
General Register Office
Telephone: 0300 200 7890
General Register Office website