Not everything can be recycled through household bins or disposed of easily. You can ask the council to collect certain bulky items for you.
If your items are suitable for reuse/refurbishing eg suites, tables and chairs, furniture, bric-a-brac, books and bicycles they will be donated to East Belfast Mission through the reuse containers at the Household Recycling Centres.
This programme benefits everyone as the charity is provided with additional stock for their Restore, Refurb and Recycle projects meaning Ards and North Down saves money from reduced waste disposal costs. If you do not wish to donate any of your collected items please inform the call handler when booking your special collection.
Please note that some charities may be able to assist with large house clearances free of charge.
In certain circumstances it may be necessary for a supervisor to inspect the waste prior to arranging the collection.
- white Goods - fridges, freezers, cookers, washing machines and other domestic appliances
- brown Goods - household furniture such as beds, mattresses, chairs, wardrobes and carpets
- miscellaneous Items - bicycles, children's toys, prams and plastic coal bunkers, plastic oil tanks
We don't collect:
- garden waste, trees and hardcore
- material from building or DIY activity such as old windows, doors, bathroom suites and kitchen units
- boilers, radiators
- old garden sheds, old timber, fencing and dog kennels
- flagstones, kerbs and concrete posts
- black bags, packaging and cardboard boxes
All of these items, except flagstones, kerbs and concrete posts, can be taken to one of our recycling centres.
We can collect up to six items which you have told us about for a fee of £15.00 (if you leave something out that is not on our list, we will not be able to take it away).
On the collection day:
- we must know what exactly needs to be collected prior to the collection day
- we do not clear houses, gardens or sheds
- items must be left outside from 7.00am for collection - a driveway or garden is preferable
- crews cannot enter a house under any circumstances
- if residents cannot move items outside themselves we recommend a neighbour or relative is present to help carry the items outside in advance of the collection day
To arrange a bulky collection service, contact Ards and North Down Borough Council.
Telephone: 0300 013 3333.
Credit or debit card
Cheque : make payable to Ards and North Down Borough Council
Cash : retain your cash receipt until the collection has taken place.
In person: Monday to Friday 9.00am until 5.00pm
Ards and North Down Borough Council
2 Church Street