Changes at HRCs
It is now a condition of use of the Borough’s HRCs that ALL waste brought to the sites is separated and placed into the correct containers for recycling where appropriate.
Disposal of recyclable waste items in landfill skips is no longer permitted.
Please also note that, health and safety reasons. walk-ins are NOT permitted at any of the HRCs with the exception of Holywood HRC (via separate pedestrian access gate).
Failure to separate waste types at the Borough’s nine Household Recycling Centres (HRCs) and put them in the correct recycling containers (rather than ‘dumping’ it in landfill skips) is costing ratepayers an additional landfill charge of more than £1.3M each year. This also results in an extra 13,500 tons of valuable recyclable waste material going to landfill rather than being turned into new products.
It is now a condition of use of the Borough’s HRCs that ALL waste brought to the sites is separated and placed into the correct containers for recycling where appropriate. Disposal of recyclable waste items in landfill skips is no longer permitted.
Did you know our HRCs have approximately 30 different containers that you should be putting different types of recyclable waste into? Unfortunately landfill skips are often full of recyclable waste items that should be separated out and placed in other designated skips/containers for recycling. Top offenders include cardboard; hard plastics; textiles and wood.
When visiting the HRCs, it will be easier and faster to bring waste already separated out into different types of recyclables that can be readily popped into the correct containers as you move through the site.
- Unsure of what must be recycled – check the bin-ovation app
- Place items made of more than one recyclable waste type in the container that is most appropriate. For example, if it's a mainly wooden item with some metal or plastic attached, place it in the wood skip
- Do not arrive with bins/bags/boxes of mixed waste – this will delay your time on site as you'll need to separate it out for recycling
- Only use the landfill skips for waste that can't be recycled elsewhere
- Don't be afraid to ask – we're here to help!