Bangor to Host ‘Showcase Saturday’ This Weekend!
Bangor will be a hive of activity this weekend as it hosts the second of a series of ‘Showcase Saturday’ events that are being held on five consecutive Saturdays in towns across the borough until the end of March!
**UPDATE: As of 13 March, the Showcase Saturday events in Holywood, Newtownards and Donaghadee have been postponed. See note at bottom of the page.**
Organised by Ards and North Down Borough Council and funded by the Department for Communities, the events are showcasing the best of what our towns have to offer, giving visitors an opportunity to support local shops while enjoying an array of fun entertainment on the streets and in stores.
Last weekend’s event was held in Comber and this week’s Showcase Saturday will be hosted in Bangor before moving to Holywood, Newtownards and Donaghadee over the coming weeks.
This Saturday’s activities in Bangor include:
- Adventure Arena, McKee Clock (11am-3pm): come and try out a high rope assault course, Formula 1 simulators, parkour, laser combat, skateboarding and a climbing wall!
- Cool FM Roadshow (12noon – 2pm): music, competitions, games and prizes with DJ Pete Snodden.
- Main Street My Street (11am-3pm): Tastings at Sostrene Grene, photobooth and cupcake decorating at Menarys, facepainting at Bob & Berts, caricatures at The Man Shack.
- Historical Walking Tour (2pm-3pm): Explore Bangor’s rich past with a guided walking tour. Tickets cost £4 - available from Ticketsource. Booking essential.
- Project 24 and Queen’s Parade (3pm -8pm): A celebration of artisan food and drink with live music performances at the Sundown Market.
- PLUS there will be lots of in-store promotions, puppet and magic shows, circus skills, breakdancing, craft workshops, balloon modelling, storytelling and music gigs (8pm til late) throughout the town centre.
It’s going to be a great day of fabulous fun and entertainment so make sure you visit Bangor this Saturday!
For more information about all Showcase Saturday events, go to visitardsandnorthdown.com.
Ards and North Down Borough Council is postponing the three upcoming Showcase Saturday events in Holywood (Saturday 14 March); Newtownards (Saturday 21 March) and Donaghadee (Saturday 28 March).
While we accept current Public Health Agency advice that the cancellation of events is not required at this time, the Chambers of Commerce have highlighted that it would be more sensible and practical to postpone these events to a date later in the year. We can then be sure of good visitor attendance, footfall and benefits for our local retailers.
While the events are not proceeding at this time, we would remind everyone that our town centres are still very much open for business; with lots of full shelves.
Please however do remain mindful of the current advice to self-isolate if you feel unwell (symptoms including shortness of breath, a new persistent cough, sore throat, or fever (temperature above 38˚C)) and to practice regular handwashing.
Please share this message to help us get out the word.
Information on rescheduled events will follow in due course.