Registering a Food Business
If you are planning to start a new business that involves the sale of food you must register your business with the Council at least 28 days before opening. The registration is a simple online process using the Gov.uk website and there is no cost to register a food business.
Environmental Health Officers ensure food premises comply with food safety legislation and they provide advice and information to those involved in the preparation, production and sale of food. We endeavour to ensure that all such food and food packaging meet relevant standards for quality, composition, labelling, presentation and advertising.
The Environmental Health Department undertakes a wide range of activities in relation to food control including:
- carry out planned food hygiene and food standards inspections of all food businesses located within the Ards and North Down Borough Council area
- approval of manufacturing premises that handle meat products, dairy products, fish products, and other types of food of animal origin
- investigate food complaints and complaints about the hygiene of premises
- investigate cases and outbreaks of food poisoning
- carry out routine microbiological and compositional sampling of food
- check food labelling
- respond to food alerts
- advise businesses on the layout of food premises, food safety management systems, hygiene standards, food labelling and training
- promote food safety in the home and provide information to the general public, businesses and voluntary organisations on any aspect of food safety and food standards