Environmental Health Officers and Technical Officers within the Environmental Health, Protection and Development Service protect the public from Environmental Health Risks. Officers provide advice, carry out inspection of premises within their statutory duty, investigate complaints and take enforcement action when necessary. The team is based at:

2 Church Street
Co. Down
BT23 4AP

Telephone 0300 013 3333 ext 40236 or email env.health@ardsandnorthdown.gov.uk

The services covers many areas including:

  • Public Health and Housing
  • Food Control and Consumer Protection
  • Health and Safety, Noise and Petroleum Licensing
  • Health and Wellbeing

More information about each service area is in the FAQs below.

Frequently asked questions

What is covered by the Public Health and Housing Team?

The Public Health and Housing Team covers issues including:

  • Pest Control
  • Housing conditions e.g. dampness, overcrowding etc
  • Tenancy matters e.g. the rights and responsibilities of private tenants (information for tenants and landlords)
  • Illegal Eviction
  • Statutory Nuisance e.g. drainage, smells, smoke, pollution, air quality etc
What is covered by the Food Control and Consumer Protection team?

The Food Control and Consumer Protection Team can assist with a wide range of issues:

  • Consumer protection/product safety
  • Inspecting food establishments to ensure that food is being handled and produced hygienically
  • Investigating food complaints and responding to consumer complaints/concerns regarding unhygienic food premises
  • Investigating cases of food poisoning
  • Providing food hygiene training for businesses and voluntary groups
  • Registering new food premises and providing advice to new/existing food businesses
  • Respond to food alerts issued by the Food Standards Agency about potentially unsafe food
  • Carry out programmed food sampling of businesses to ensure the food they produce is safe
  • Enforce legislation in relation to food standards and labelling
What is covered by Health and Safety, Noise and Petroleum Licensing?

The Health and Safety, Noise and Petroleum Licensing Team can assist with:

  • Health and Safety at Work
  • Noise
  • Petroleum Licensing
  • Caravan Site Licensing

For more information on licenses, permits, certificates and registers please click here

What is covered by the Health and Wellbeing Team?

‚ÄčThe Health and Wellbeing Team can assist with:

  • Tobacco Control
  • Home Safety Checks
  • Affordable Warmth
  • Community Health and Wellbeing