Environmental Management System
Ards and North Down Borough Council is committed to environmental stewardship demonstrated through the accreditation of an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System. We work to enhance our local environment, improve the health and well-being of our local community and reduce the negative impact our activities could have on the environment.
We use an environmental management system to manage our environmental performance. By implementing our environmental management system, we set measurable objectives and targets to ensure continual improvement in environmental performance.
Our environmental statement sets out our commitments as an organisation:
- to reduce, reuse and recycle our waste
- to introduce measures to ensure best practice and responsible use of water, fuel and energy
- to investigate and introduce, where possible, measures to minimise the release of pollutants which cause damage to land, air and water due to our activities
- to reduce the environmental impact of goods we buy and encourage suppliers and contracted services to improve their environmental performance
The scope of the EMS currently covers the following sites:
- Church Street Civic Building
- Bangor Castle Civic Building
- North Road Depot (including depot, stores, Waste Transfer Station
- Ards Leisure Centre
- Comber Leisure Centre
- Household Recycling Centres (formally operated by Ards BC) - including Ards, Comber, Ballygowan, Donaghadee, Kircubbin, Millisle & Portaferry
- Parks Depots (formerly operated by Ards BC) - including Movilla, Donaghadee & Whitechurch