The Disability Discrimination Act places duties on public authorities, when carrying out their functions, to have due regard to:
- promote positive attitudes towards disabled people
- encourage participation by disabled people in public life
These are collectively referred to as ‘the disability duties’.
Disability Action Plan
The council has produced a Disability Action Plan which explains how we can fulfil the disability duties. Download the plan below. You can request an alternative format, including braille and minority languages, by contacting the council on 0300 013 3333.
Our Disability Action Plan ensures that the council fulfils its statutory obligations in compliance with Section 49A of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA 1995) (as amended by Article 5 of the Disability Discrimination (Northern Ireland) Order 2006).
The plan outlines the actions and processes that the council will undertake to ensure that issues facing people with disabilities or their carers, are effectively mainstreamed within council decision making processes and service delivery.
The Disability Action Plan is monitored annually and a report presented to the council and submitted to the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland each August.
AccessAble - the new name for Disabled Go
Ards and North Down Borough Council work with AccessAble. AccessAble offers information on access to buildings/venues across the UK. Visit the website for more information on access to venues in the borough and further afield.
For more information please visit the AccessAble website
There are currently a number of Changing Places in Council facilities. They are located in:
- Bangor Aurora Aquatics and Leisure Complex (two facilities available)
- Comber Leisure Centre
- Ards Blair Mayne Wellbeing and Leisure Complex
- Groomsport Harbour Public Toilets
For more information about Changing Places please visit Changing Places website
Groomsport Inclusive Beach
As part of Council's Disability Action plan, Ards and North Down Borough Council are working with The Mae Murray Foundation to make Groomsport an Inclusive Beach.
This means there will be all-terrain wheelchairs, walkers and matting available to members to access the beach every weekend over the summer, encouraging and enabling families to experience beach facilities together.
The Mae Murray Foundation may also be able to assist you with organising some beach adventures at other times this summer!
The beach equipment is available for booking on Saturday and Sundays and must be booked 3 days in advance. Beach equipment can be borrowed by anyone – with a mobility, sensory or other need – who will benefit from using it. It is essential to register as a member of Mae Murray Foundation (free of charge), Community Groups can also become an Affiliate Member of the Mae Murray Foundation.
To become a member visit Become a Member : Mae Murray Foundation
To find out more about Inclusive beaches and to bookvisit: Inclusive Beaches : Mae Murray Foundation
Ards and North Down Borough Council wants to help people with a disability to attend events and use Council sport and leisure faciltities. The Buddycard allows an accompanying helper to get in free. Any child or adult with a disability who requires assistance can apply for a Buddycard.
Application forms can be downloaded below or picked up from the following places:
- North Down Museum, Ards Arts Centre or the Visitor Information Centres in Bangor or Newtownards
- Aurora Leisure Centre, Queens Leisure Complex, Bangor Sportsplex, Ards Blair Mayne Wellbeing and Leisure Complex, Londonderry Park Pavilion, Comber Leisure Centre or Portaferry Sports Centre
- Reception of the Town Hall, Bangor or Church Street, Newtownards
- By phoning the Council and requesting for a form to be posted out: please telephone 0300 013 3333
We are unable to process Buddycards at the Town Hall, Bangor or Church Street, Newtownards. Please bring your completed form to any Leisure Centre where staff will help you further. Staff at the Council's sport and leisure facilities will accept a valid Blue Badge issued by the Department for Infrastructure in place of a verifier's signature at this time.
- Disability Action Plan 2020-2025 (pdf 421 KB)
- Disability Action Plan 2017-2020 (pdf 1 MB)
- Disability Action Plan 2015 - 2017 (pdf 332 KB)
- BuddyCard Application Form Arts and Heritage (pdf 703 KB)
- BuddyCard Application Form Leisure (pdf 1 MB)