COVID-19: Service Update
Community Engagement: Let us know what your community group or organisation is doing to support people in the community - click here.
It has been agreed that following facilities will be open for the public:
- Parks (with the exception of all play park facilities which will reopen 10 July 2020 - please see important information in drop dpwn menu below.). When visiting our open spaces for daily exercise, please adhere to current government guidance. Please note, the car park at Island Hill, Comber has reopened (10 June). Visitors park and walk to the water’s edge. However the causeway section is narrow and does not allow for social distancing so currently remains closed after the second set of steps.
- Cemeteries - (reopened Saturday 25 April), please see additional information in the drop down list below.
- Household Recycling Centres at Bangor, Newtownards and Comber (reopened Monday 18 May), Holywood (reopening 11 June) and Kircubbin (reopening 15 June). Remaining sites will reopen from 1 July onwards. Please see additional information in the drop down list below.
- Harbours and slipways (reopened Wednesday 27 May), please see additional information in the drop down list below.
In line with NI Executive guidance, we will be reopening bowling greens as follows:Tuesday 16 June: Londonderry Park, Donaghadee and Cloughey and Thursday 18 June: Ward Park and Seapark
Dog exercise areas at Kingsland, Bangor and Londonderry Park, Newtownards.
Public Toilets Update: Toilets in Newtownards, Bangor, Comber, Donaghadee, and Holywood will re-open Friday 26 June. There will be a phased re-opening of public toilets in the rest of the borough from Monday 29 June. All toilets open from Fridy 3 July.
In line with NI Executive guidance, some of our sports pitches will begin to reopen from 29 June for training only. Please see www.leisureardsandnorthdown.com/covid-19 for more details.
Leisure centres - phased reopening from mid July onwards. Please see drop down below.
The Council has agreed the closure of the following buildings and facilities to the public until further notice:
- Arts Centre, Newtownards
- Community Centres / Halls (including the Queen’s Hall Billiards Club)
- Council Offices
- Environmental Resource Centre, Bangor
- Household Recycling Centres (these will be reopened in phases, please seee below drop down menu)
- North Down Museum
- North Road Depot, Newtownards
- Leisure centres - phased reopening from mid July onwards. Please see drop down below.
- Playgrounds (where it is not physically possible to close the playground by locking a gate, signage will be put in place. Scheduled to reopen 10 July - please see drop down below for important information)
- Public toilets (Phased reopening from 26.06.20)
- Signal Centre
- Sports pitches / facilities and pavilions (will reopen in phases)
- Town Hall Bangor
- Visitor Information Centres
We are very much aware of the concerns around coronavirus (Covid-19) and will continue to communicate regularly as the situation develops. The health and safety of customers and employees is our number one priority. We recognise the important role that both our teams and our customers have in keeping healthy.
We would ask:
• Please do not come to Council facilities if you are unwell (symptoms including shortness of breath, a new persistent cough, sore throat, or fever (temperature above 38˚C)).
• Keep your hands clean, wash regularly and thoroughly, for at least 20 seconds with soap and water
• Always carry tissues with you and use them to catch all coughs and sneezes and then bin the tissue – then wash your hands with soap and water, or use a sanitiser
We ask anyone who is concerned that they may have encountered the virus to follow the Government advice and self-isolate in the first instance. You can find the latest advice for Northern Ireland online here
Business Continuity Plan
We continue to work on our business continuity plan to help us provide services to residents in our Borough during these difficult times. As much as possible, we will keep you updated on this website and on our social media channels.
Information about provision of services is below.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.