AND Rate Struck for 2017/18
Council agrees district rate for Ards and North Down for 2017/18
Council has struck the district rate for the Borough for 2017/18.
The domestic rate for 2017/18 is 0.3079p – a rise of 1.75%.
The non-domestic rate is 21.6847p – again a rise of 1.75%.
For the average household in Ards and North Down this equates to an increase of £1.88 per month.
**please note rates bills are made up of both the district rate (set by Council) and the regional rate (set by central government) so the overall increase may be higher than this.
With the rate rise confirmed, over the coming year we look forward to continuing to deliver high quality services across the Borough. The following initiatives are of particular note in 2017/18:
- Constructing our new leisure centre at Dairy Hall in Newtownards.
- Extending Public Realm in Holywood to Redburn Square, Lower Hibernia Street and Sullivan Place.
- Investing more than £750K in improvement works to car parks, harbours, pitches and pavilions.
- Refurbishing playgrounds and multi-use games areas (£1.7M).
- Securing funding to implement at least one Council-led project from each village plan.
- Delivering events including Ards International Guitar Festival (Apr) Comber Earlies Food Festival (Jun), Armed Forces Day (Jun), Portavogie Seafood Festival (Aug) and Aspects Festival (Sept).
- Administering £3.3M of PEACE IV monies towards initiatives to support children and young people, the development of shared spaces and services and building positive relations.
- Delivering £700K of community funding for initiatives including community festivals and good relations.
- Delivering £350,000 of basic services funding into our rural communities.
- Publishing our first community plan for the Borough.
- Continuing to deliver our recycling strategy - target 65% recycling rate in the Borough by 2020.
- Promoting environmental initiatives with a particular focus upon eradicating dog fouling.
- Continuing to support our staff with learning, training and development initiatives.